My mother's chicken curry

This may not seem to be a very spicy dish, or particularly Indian (the use of curry powder gives it away) but considering the level of seasoning in the typical Newfoundlander kitchen, this is phenomenal. (See flipper pie if you don't believe me.)It's also pretty easy to do, even though it takes a long time. Freezes well, and I'm sure you'll be making a double batch the next time you try it.

Stuff:

  • 2 lbs chicken legs (Can use chicken parts, but it will be harder ro pick out all the bones. Boneless skinless chicken breasts could also be used, but they're very dry and the curry will be more expensive and not taste as good. Skin the legs if you must.)
  • 4 medium onions, cut in thin rings
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 3 whole cloves (use ground cloves if you must... won't taste as good.)
  • 1 cinnamon stick

Spices:

  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more, up to a teaspoon)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp curry powder (Or more. Or use paste instead of powder)
  • 1/2 little can tomato paste (Mom always makes a double batch of this, it freezes well..So dont ask me what to do with a 1/2 a can of tomato paste.)

Put some oil in a big saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add cinnamon and cloves, and heat until you can smell them, then add garlic and onions. Saute the onions until golden and soft.

Here's the easy part: Add everything else on top of the onions, and pour in enough water to cover. Simmer for at least 4 hours, covered, until the meat is in shreds. Stir it every once in a while.

Remove the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, and chicken bones. let simmer a little while longer with the top off if it's too watery. Serve over steamed long grain or basmati rice. Oh, and it makes a good sandwich the next day with some chutney, hot or cold.

Why is this here in this node competing with all these other respectable dishes? Because it's simple to make, and it doesn't taste that way. And because it's dirt easy.