Supporting character to Superman published by DC Comics. The character first appeared in Action Comics #6 in 1938.

Jimmy Olsen in the pre-Crisis DC universe was a cub reporter for the Daily Planet, the premiere newspaper in Metropolis. Olsen was a good reporter, but often got himself into difficult situations, requiring the aid of Superman to escape the peril. Olsen and Superman became good friends over time, gaining Olsen the title of "Superman's Pal." Superman gave Olsen a watch specially attuned to a frequency that Superman could hear (think "dog whistle Timex"). Jimmy used his "signal watch" to call Superman (Zeeee-zeee-zeee) when he was in need of rescuing.

In 1954, Jimmy Olsen joined Lois Lane in having a comic book devoted exclusively to his exploits. Olsen experienced many odd adventures during this time, from being transformed into a giant turtle and a wolf boy to falling in love with beautiful alien women. Olsen often found himself in more trouble than he could handle and had to again be rescued by his pal, the Man of Steel. Olsen also became a superhero as well, not just once but twice. First, he teamed with Superman in the Bottled City of Kandor as Nightwing and Flamebird. Later, he gained the ability to stretch his body parts and became Elasti-Lad and was given honorary membership in the Legion of Super-Heroes.

In Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #133, the storyline took a turn. The new writer was Jack Kirby and Jimmy Olsen was soon introduced to the New Gods and the Forever People. The comic continued until the early 70's when the title was canceled.

The character of Jimmy Olsen has been portrayed by a number of actors in both movies and television over the years. The character gained his largest popularity during the 1950's television series when he was played by Jack Larson.


I am deeply indebted to Gamaliel for reminding me about the signal watch.