Elvis is in the building!

Through a lengthy and somewhat tenuous thread of coincidence, I find myself hosting the E2 Chief Editor, his gal Sal, and her father, hereafter known as 'Papa Bear.'  They're here on Cape Cod for a long weekend visit and staying at a small rental cottage in nearby New Silver Beach.  

I consider it a rare privilege to get to know dem bones.  He has consistently impressed me with his ability to make the right call under pressure, time and time again.  He's also got a wry and prickly wit and a finely honed sense of irony.  In short, bones is an interesting fellow and it should be fun to kick it with him.  

He's also, of course somewhat of a sacred relic in the cultural venue of Our Little Town.  I dunno about you all, but after a few years of hanging around here, I'm still trying to get a handle on how it works and what it means.  E2 is one of the most unique collaborative associations I've ever observed. The reasons it works so well, and the subtle dynamics that drive it have been an endless source of fascination and puzzlement to me.  So, perhaps, I can do some kind of  Vulcan Mind Meld with Bones and unravel the DNA of E2 in the course of partying with him this weekend.   But even if I do, that's not what I'm thinking of sharing with you all.  You wouldn't believe me anyway, and that's the kind of thing you've got to unravel for yourselves.  

What I am thinking of doing however is having some fun with all this by chronicling the events of the visit for your amusement in the form of a few daylog entries beginning with this one.  Hey that's what daylogs is for, n'est ce pas?

Papa Bear  

Coby's dad took the humane approach to getting here from Michigan, a two day roadtrip that took in the Finger Lakes area in upstate New York, followed by a leisurely trip down to the Cape and an afternoon arrival.  He and I sat on the deck at my place and sipped some wine in the rusty orange light of a "Smoky Sou'west" wind pulling up Buzzards Bay.

Papa really is a big friendly bear of a man.  He seems to fill up the room with a pleasant attention.  You get the feeling that he's hunching his head a bit, the way that really tall people do, as if in the sincere hope of avoiding contact with door frames and low ceiling fans.  He certainly is tall, but well proportioned, like a former athlete.  Nice smile.

We hit it off immediately and settled into a comfortable discussion of the life and times.  In short order we were faced with the inevitable 'Six Degrees of Separation' connections dance.  I think we both realized at once that the events that had led both of us to my house on this sunny afternoon revolved around a person that I'd never even spoken to on the phone before.  I had to smile at the pleasant oddness of that.

Cape Coddage

As the wine bottle emptied, Papa Bear and I deemed it prudent to migrate over to the cottage where he and the rest of the 'Bones Party' will reside during their vacation here.  The cottage is a couple of miles from my home in a classic little community called New Silver Beach and with Papa Bear following doggedly behind, I led the way and we soon had parked the cars and were wandering toward the sandy shoreline.  

The cottage is a modest little place that supports itself with a small income from annual summer rentals and is otherwise used for friends and family visits.  The bottom floor is a concrete block garage and 'bunkhouse' that has hosted generations of teenagers banished by the adults from the upstairs apartment. The first floor is 'expendable by design' in recognition of the hurricane that will someday come blowing through its doors.  Living on the Cape these monster storms are inevitable and it's a matter of when, not whether, the next one will come marching up Buzzards Bay.

The second floor is a simple two bedroom place with all the usual facilities.  The nicest amenity is probably the view from the living room of the beach and water.  New Silver Beach has had a very interesting history in its first hundred years of existence.  In the late 1800's Silver Beach and the adjacent Wing's Neck was the home of a summer camp for young ladies.  From the pictures, it must have been a veritable paradise of swimming, boating, picnics and clambakes, with afternoon readings from the classics on the sugar sand beach.

In the early 1900's, the camp was closed and the land purchased by a group of Boston-Based developers.  These gentlemen formed the first Silver Beach Association, and gridded out the area with plans for a grand hotel and a hundred summer homes.  The brochures for the develop show a dozen designs for immaculate little Victorian and Craftsman homes with prices ranging between $500 and $1500.  Hey, I'll take two of those and one of those and one each of these two...

I got Papa Bear settled and headed home again to await the arrival of Bones and Coby sometime close to midnight.  The phone rang twice last night, once when they arrive in Boston, an hour and a half late due to bad weather, and a second time way past midnight when they finally pulled into my driveway.  "You poor guys," I said as I strode towards them, my hand outstretched. I engulfed Coby in a hug and gave Bones the Manly Man handshake.  The first thing I noticed about him is that he has a really nice voice.

To be continued...