The only accredited university in the U.S. that is associated with Buddhism. Founded in 1974, in Boulder, Colorado, Naropa is home to the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics, where Allen Ginsberg taught writing. According to Naropa’s web site (http://www.naropa.edu) the mission of the University is to:
- offer educational programs that cultivate awareness of the present moment through intellectual, artistic, and meditative disciplines;
- foster a learning community (composed of students, faculty, staff, trustees, and alumni) that uncovers wisdom and heart
- cultivate openness and communication, sharpen critical intellect, enhance resourcefulness, and develop effective action in all disciplines;
- exemplify the principles grounded in Naropa University's Buddhist educational heritage;
- encourage the integration of world wisdom traditions with modern culture;
- be nonsectarian and open to all.