A computer graphics algorithm which performs a rubber-sheet (aka "warp") transformation to take one visual "source" rendering (normally a bitmap image) into another "target" rendering, calculating several intermediate renderings along the process. Usually, values for object colors are interpolated (aka "cross-dissolved")for the intermediate frames, as well as their virtual positions.

The source rendering, the intermediate renderings, and the target are usually shown as a time sequence (that is, like the frames of a video) so that the source image appears to continuously metamorphose into the target.

The rubber-sheet transformation requires several control points on the source and target renderings to be defined and then associated with each other. This generally requires human intervention, making the technique reatively more expensive than others.

Morphing technology was invented by Douglas B. Smythe of Industrial Light and Magic, the special effects arm of Lucasfilm, Inc. The first morph appeared in the movie Willow.

As people began to become familiar with the effect, rather than startled or nauseated, the advertising industry picked up the technology and ran it into the ground. As far as visual effects go, morphing is now a cliché.