1974 Science Fiction novel by Philip K. Dick.   * * * * 1/2

Jason Taverner is on top of the world: He is a famous singing star, he has his own weekly TV show viewed by over 30 million people, he is incredibly good-looking and has any woman he wants, and above all, he is a "six"1 .

Then one day, Jason wakes up in a sleazy hotel room, and find he doesn't exist anymore. His ID cards are gone; his birth certificate is missing from all the computers.

He learns very quickly how the other half lives. In this future2 America, not being able to produce your ID cards at a random checkpoint means that you will be sent to a forced labor camp, almost certain death.

Worst of all for any celebrity, it suddenly appears that no-one has ever heard of him!

This is one of Dick's earliest novels portraying the disturbing "betrayal state"3, not so much different from our own, shaped by the evil Richard M. Nixon (or an analogue). Dick could out-write nearly any author you care to name with one hand tied behind his back.
1I'm not going to explain what a "six" is to you; you'll have to read the book.
2The "future" being defined as 1988.
3In fact, the term "betrayal state" appears to have been coined in this novel.