"Timon of Athens" is a play written by William Shakespeare, perhaps with the help of a co-author, who has been identified as Thomas Middleton. However, this is apparently a matter of great scholarly debate. It is known that while printed in 1623, and probably written around 1608, the manuscript is considered unfinished, for several reasons, and the play was not performed in Shakespeare's lifetime, and is still one of Shakespeare's lesser known, and seldom performed, works.

Part of the reason for that can be found in the play's plot, which is pretty simple: Timon of Athens (a figure taken from Plutarch and other classical sources) is a rich man who recklessly loans money to acquaintances, and throws lavish parties, not accepting that he is falling deeper into debt. When his creditors come calling, he asks if any of his friends can help him, and when they reject him, he realizes that he had no real friends, only people taking advantage of his wealth. He goes outside of Athens to live in the forest, and bitterly denounces humanity and Athens to everyone. He also finds gold, but merely uses it to launch more tirades. Meanwhile, another deposed noble, Alcibiades, launches a civil war against Athens, but after an encounter with the bitter Timon, realizes that revenge is futile. Timon dies, the war ends, and... end of play.

It is a much flatter narrative structure than most of Shakespeare's plays. This does make it a little easier for a reader to follow, which is good. But it also lacks the charm of many of Shakespeare's plays. It also lacks the narrative gimmicks: no mistaken or hidden identity, and no spunky, cross-dressing heroines! In fact, the play has no female leads at all, and only two named female characters, mistresses of Alcibiades. Comparing the end of this play with the end of, say, As You Like It, where a thick knot of romantic intrigues are resolved, shows the stark contrast. Timon loses all his money, becomes bitter, condemns society, and dies. And that is it.

There are actually seeds of a more complicated drama. We are unsure how many of Timon's criticisms of society are Timon's, and how many are Shakespeare's. Is Timon meant to be a sympathetic figure, with justified complaints? Or is he a man who is bitter about a fate that he could have prevented, who refuses to take responsibility and instead blames others? The play actually gives us two foils to Timon, with Apemantus, a sharp-tongued cynical philosopher, who tried to warn Timon in his days of luxury, and Alcibiades, who launches a rebellion. But since the play was unfinished, some of these dramatic and philosophical questions are not presented completely. The play still contains some great lines, and sharp scenes, but the usual complexity of Shakespeare is missing.

On a personal note, I have gotten in the habit of reading Shakespeare's problem plays, and this quest was continued this Friday when I found a copy of Timon of Athens in a Little Free Library and read it over the weekend. But I also do wonder why I have read Troilus and Cressida, Cymbelline, and this...but have never read Romeo and Juliet. Should I read Romeo and Juliet? Let me know!