The Cathedral of Learning is the second-tallest education
building in the world, measuring in at 42 stories, and reaching 535 feet up into the sky
. It is the geographic and traditional
heart of the University of Pittsburgh
The planning and construction was undertaken by Chancellor John Bowman in 1926, and dedicated in 1937, the building was (financially) realized by the help of contributions from all people throughout the world. During the worst of the Great Depression, funding became scarce, and school children were encouraged to contribute a dime to "buy a brick."
Housed in the Cathedral is the magnificent three-story gothic Commons Room, classrooms, including the Nationality Classrooms, the University's administrative offices, libraries, a computer center, a restaurant, and a spattering of other offices.
The tower has 2,529 windows.
An attractive picture of the building can be found at: http://www.umc.pitt.edu/tour/tour-080-photo.html
This information can be found at http://www.pitt.edu