A piece, which can be plastic but is usually metal, which is narrow at one end but flares out at the other, either in a curve or at a right angle. For example, the top of a drain flares out from the drain-pipe to form a ring which is perpendicular to the angle of the pipe, and which sits on the upper surface of the bottom of the sink - that is the flange.