Church today was an exercise in continuing frustration.

To start with I was cranky because I walked there and wound up overdressed because they had the heat on, so I got tired for being thirsty, and a little loopy. But I saw some cards set out on the pews to make a donation pledge, and I thought, oh wonderful, I've never actually gotten around to making a pledge before. So I grabbed a pencil and filled it out.

Unfortunately, there was another such card right next to me, and in the shuffle over the course of the service I kept getting the blank and non-blank one mixed up. And then there was only one, and, still being loopy, I didn't think anything of where the other one might have gone.

So the end of the service comes, the collection plates are up at the front, and I'll think, okay, I didn't get a chance to put my pledge card in the plate, but I'll do it as soon as I get out of this pew. But as soon as I stepped out of the pew that thought slipped my mind because I had to go and play the church bells. When I came back downstairs, I saw my pledge card where I'd left it, and I thought, oh rats, I forgot. I'll just put the card in the plate now. Except that the plates had already been taken out of the sanctuary. So after putting some stuff away, I found the pastor and handed her my pledge card personally! Here you go! I finally made my frikkin' pledge! And then I scuttled away.

And then after putting some other things away, I spotted a pledge card on the floor -- the one I had actually filled out.

I had handed the pastor a blank pledge card.

I swear I didn't mean to offer her any insult.