The word chiropractic is an amalgamation of the Greek words "cheir" and "praktkos", meaning "done by hand". Chiropractic does not involve the use of drugs or surgery and is a holistic style of health care that focuses on the spine and its relation to the entire body. Doctors of Chiropractic perform manipulations and adjustments on the tissues of the human body, particularly of the spinal column. The aim or chiropractic is to treat areas of decreased movement in the joints of the spine which cause a variety of symptoms like back pain, muscle spasms, and headaches.

A legitimate chiropractor does not advocate chiropractic as a panacea, but instead uses it a part of the process of improving overall spinal health. Many modern chiropractors have a medical doctor on staff to work with the chiropractor and patient to figure out the best course of treatment for the patient. With proper exercise and diet, a spine can stay healthy for years and deteriorate at the normal rate expected with the aging process.

References:
American Chiropractic Association: http://www.amerchiro.org
Canadian Chiropractic Association: HTTP://WWW.CCACHIRO.ORG
Chirobase: http://www.chirobase.org/13RD/chiroguidelines.html.