Tomorrow is going to be a new day for me and I'm very excited for it. Why, you ask? Because I'll finally be working at a job that does not involve cleaning toilets or picking boxes off warehouse shelves. I'll be sitting in a chair, at a desk, typing on a computer, which is what I do every day of my own free will at home anyway. I'm a little worried that I'll end up hating it, but at least I'll have a cubicle to hang my head in if I do. Somehow, though, I don't think I will.

It pays far less than my last job, has very little to do with the subjects I studied at school, and I'll be working the evening shift which is opposite to almost everyone I know. In a way it feels like I'm moving backwards, but sometimes you need to take one step back before taking two steps forward. It's not retail, it's not general labour and they're entrusting me with confidential information. In other words, it's completely different from any other job I have had so far, with the possible exception of my crisis line volunteer job. Could this be the point in my life where I finally grow the fuck up and stay with a company that I want to stay with?

This is the end of unemployment for me. There will be no more mid-afternoon trips to the movie theatre, no more days filled entirely with cooking, and no more sleeping in far later than I care to admit. I probably will also stop staying awake until 2:00 a.m. listening to obscure video game music on youtube while eating white chocolate baking chunks that I melted in the microwave until it became soft enough to eat with a spoon. Not that I actually do that last thing *coughcough* anyway.

Rereading my words, I realize that in a way I'm going to miss the freedoms I've had to do what I want, whenever I want, with the contents of my wallet as my only limitation. However, every vacation must come to an end and I've reached the end of mine. I'm tired of my debit card being declined so frequently, tired of feeling stressed over meeting new people and explaining to them my situation when they ask what I do. I hate calling companies to ask if they're hiring, only to be told to send my resume by email and don't call back because everything is done electronically these days. Plus, the way I've been using my free time has become more pathetic the longer I stay out of the working world. Oh sure, I've worked a few odd jobs in the past few months, but those don't really count for much.

The main point is that I'm ready to move on. In less than a month it will be a new year and I'll be starting it off the right way. But first, I need to stop writing on everything2 and haul my ass to bed. I need to wake up in six hours for work.

I can't wait for tomorrow to come.