Name: Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
Developed By: Looking Glass Studios and Origin Systems
Published By: Origin Systems
Year: 1990

Description: One of the very first first-person games available, and the very first first-person RPG available. Ultima Underworld details a sort of "side story" in the history of the Avatar that occurs between Ultima VI and Ultima VII. The Avatar arrives in Britannia just in time to be accused of kidnapping a Baron's daughter and is unjustly thrown into the Stygian Abyss, the largest and most complex dungeon in Britannia. There the Avatar discovers a much deeper plot and must eventually confront a great demon known as Slasher of Veils.

Notables: As noted above, this was the first real-time first-person RPG available. It's also notable that you could jump and look up and down in this game, long before such advances became available in first-person shooters. The magic system was simple (much simpler than in other Ultimas), and the dungeon design quite complex (perhaps a little too much so in some cases). A superb automapping feature was also included.

My Opinion: A great RPG. It looks a bit primitive today, but still provides many fun hours of play.

Notes: This game is still available from Electronic Arts.

Links:
Encyclopaedia of Computer And Video Games