Along with Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc is one of the big three white wine grapes. Originating in France, Sauvignon Blanc forms the basis of Sancerre from the Loire Valley and (with Sémillon) most Bordeaux whites, including the world-renowned Sauternes. It is also used in the new world as both a varietal and blended with other grapes.

Sauvignon Blanc can produce a variety of styles, depending upon how it is grown and prepared. The most basic style is a crisp dry white, which is variously described as tasting of grapefruit, gooseberry, citrus, flint and cat urine (this not being uncomplimentary — wine critics are fond of using peculiar descriptions like pencil shavings and kerosene). Sometimes it is aged in oak to give a deeper, smokier flavor, although more often metal casks are used to retain the crispiness.

Also popular, although hard to create successfully, is a sweet white. Sauvignon Blanc is a good candidate for deliberate rotting via botrytis cinerea, the so-called noble rot. The difficulty in doing this well leads to exorbitant prices for Sauternes wines, with the infamous Château d'Yquem commanding higher prices per unit volume than ink jet cartridge ink; the relative ease of doing this extremely badly would lead to substantial amounts of very nasty cheap wine were it not for the Appellation d'Origine Côntrolée rules and the lack of native botrytis in the United States.

Finally, Sauvignon Blanc is sometimes made into a half-arsed semi-sweet wine that is utterly devoid of character and flavour that makes Soave look like a paragon of vivaciousness. Such wines should be eschewed.

Sauvignon Blanc is also known as Fumé Blanc in California. This is for marketing reasons rather than the more normal confusion about whether or not two grapes are really the same.

Dry Sauvignon Blanc goes well with seafood, chicken and salad. It should be served chilled (although not cold) and should not usually be aged beyond around five years. Sweet varieties are a dessert wine, and should be well aged.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.