Another basic attack in Japanese swordsmanship.

This one is a sideways drawing strike that starts with the katana inside the scabbard. A properly performed nuki uchi on an opponent of roughly the same height is akin to playing a game of connect the dots. The dots being your opponent's nipples and the pencil being your katana.

Start off in a neutral stance. Your feet should be slightly apart and facing fowards with your right hand at your side and your left hand on the scabbard. The left hand is always on the scabbard just in case a fight suddenly breaks out. You'll have a split-second advantage since your hand is correctly positioned, but in a real swordfight that may be all you need. But is your scabbard properly tucked in? If so, let's begin.

So your left hand is on the scabbard. Now make sure your thumb is placed on the edge of the tsuba (also known as the hilt of the katana). The thumb should be bent. Now, push outwards with your thumb. This should move the blade about a couple of centimeters out of the scabbard.

For those of you unfamiliar with Japanese swordsmanship, this action is the equivalent to the cocking of the hammer of a gun.

The edge should have been facing up, if it was properly tucked into the belt. Twist it to the left, so the edge will be facing away from your body. Reach over with your right hand and grab the tsuka, or the handle of your katana. Draw the blade outwards while taking a small step forward with your right foot. Once the tip has left the scabbard, your arm should be at your imaginary opponent's chest level. Pull it in a rightward direction parallel to the horizon. When the cut is finished, your hand should not be on the plane that is created by your chest. It should be a little bit behind, so it looks like you are sticking your chest out.

It should be noted that nuki uchi technically means draw strike, and not draw cut. This attack was not meant to slice your opponent horizontally in two, it is mostly meant for pushing your opponent back or forcing them to take a nasty flesh wound.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.