A slang term for a style of river/sea transport, which is commonplace in Thailand. These boats are long and thin, and are brightly painted with very high bows to cut through the waves. The name itself comes from the huge pole with the propeller on that jutts out of the back of the boat.

The crafts engine is mounted on a swivelling post bolted on the floor near the rear. Out of the engine comes a directly driven 5-10 metre metal pole with the propeller on the end going into the water at an angle providing the power to drive the boat throught the water. The boats pilot hangs on to another, much shorter pole coming out of the other side of the motor and directs things by rotating the engine about the post, and moving the drive shaft from side to side (and even up and down in choppy waters).

Longtails seem to be in use all over Thailand, be it crossing the Chao Prya river or in Bangkok, or taking half hour journeys around the islands to the south. You can usually rent them for about 400 baht for an hour long trip or about 1000 baht for the day, although as normal in Thailand haggle for all your worth

Long"tail` (?), n.

An animal, particularly a log, having an uncut tail. Cf. Curtail. Dog.

⇒ A longtail was a gentleman's dog, or the dog of one qualified to bunt, other dogs being required to have their tails cut.

Cut and longtail, all, gentlefolks and others, as they might come.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.