A chemical substance which has a structure like a flat plane so that it can insert itself in between adjacent nucleotides of a DNA molecule. Intercalating agents are used to unwind the double helix, make the helix longer, or to induce mutations.

From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.