Green Fluffy Stuff or The Great Pistachio Disaster

It's that holiday season again. Time for cooking insanities and unidentifiable dishes all piled up on the counter. This year, I chose to make an aptly colored contribution. Green Fluffy Stuff!!! It should have been so simple, it should have been a breeze...shoulda, woulda, coulda.

The Recipe

  • 1 sm. carton Cool Whip
  • 1 sm. pkg. pistachio instant pudding
  • 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice
  • 3/4 c. coarsely chopped nuts
  • 1/2 c. mini marshmallows

Now, this has always been a favorite of mine. I was absolutely shocked to find the recipe listed online by the very name I'd always called it. It's one of those things that most buffet-style restaurants offer. Namely, Shoney's. Everytime I go, I save room for the "green fluffy stuff". Maybe I should leave it to them.

I'm still not quite sure what happened. I think it may have been a combination of not draining the pineapple enough and putting too much milk in the pudding. What I ended up with appeared to be some thick Halloween Punch concoction with marshmallows and crushed pineapple floating around in it.

Much as I wanted to throw it out, my mother-in-law put it in a nice crystal punch bowl and it went over quite well. You know, people will ingest anything this time of year. Maybe they were just too drunk to notice that punch shouldn't have nuts.

Lesson learned. I am Martha Stewart's evil twin. I officially banish myself from the kitchen unless it involves Swanson and a microwave.

This node created for The Ninjagirls Christmas Special

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.