Diving Support Vessels (DSV) are vessels that facilitate diving - normally saturation diving.

The vessel can be both a monohull (a regular ship) or semi-submersibles (drill rigs). Each type has its advantages, monohulls have rapid transit speed, while semisubmersibles have great deck capacity and stability.

In addition to a saturation diving spread, most DSVs are equipped with a heave compensated crane (100-odd tonnes), ROVs and possibly an air diving spread (for shallow dives down to -30 m). This makes it a more versatile ship capable of performing several different construction tasks. The downside is that it becomes more expensive to hire the more equipment you place onboard - and you can end up no work by pricing yourself out of the market.

A saturation dive spread often consists of at least the following items:

Two dive bells
Two bells gives good redundancy in case one bell fails when at depth. Divers usually appreciate a way home. Sending down another bell to them usually does the trick.
Observation ROV
Some countries require that the divers are under observation at all times. An obeservation ROV does the trick. The ROV can also check things outside the divers excursion zone.
Life support tanks
Often three tanks are used to "store" the divers in when they don't work. Two teams share each tank, giving 24 hours diver coverage with 2 tanks, and two teams in decompression in the final one. Divers can transfer from any tank to any bell.

A DSV monohull typically house approx. 100 people, working 12 hour shifts 24/7.
Your mileage may vary concering what kind of cabin you recieve onboard :)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.