De*file" (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Defiled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Defiling.] [F. d'efiler; pref. d'e-, for des- (L. dis-) + file a row or line. See File a row.]

To march off in a line, file by file; to file off.

 

© Webster 1913.


De*file", v. t. Mil.

Same as Defilade.

 

© Webster 1913.


De*file" [Cf. F. d'efil'e, fr. d'efiler to defile.]

1.

Any narrow passage or gorge in which troops can march only in a file, or with a narrow front; a long, narrow pass between hills, rocks, etc.

2. Mil.

The act of defilading a fortress, or of raising the exterior works in order to protect the interior. See Defilade.

 

© Webster 1913.


De*file" (?), v. t. [OE. defoulen, -foilen, to tread down, OF. defouler; de- + fouler to trample (see Full, v. t.), and OE. defoulen to foul (influenced in form by the older verb defoilen). See File to defile, Foul, Defoul.]

1.

To make foul or impure; to make filthy; to dirty; to befoul; to pollute.

They that touch pitch will be defiled. Shak.

2.

To soil or sully; to tarnish, as reputation; to taint.

He is . . . among the greatest prelates of this age, however his character may be defiled by . . . dirty hands. Swift.

3.

To injure in purity of character; to corrupt.

Defile not yourselves with the idols of Egypt. Ezek. xx. 7.

4.

To corrupt the chastity of; to debauch; to violate.

The husband murder'd and the wife defiled. Prior.

5.

To make ceremonially unclean; to pollute.

That which dieth of itself, or is torn with beasts, he shall not eat to defile therewith. Lev. xxii. 8.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.