Coquito is a Puerto Rican Christmas tradition, and is very similar to European eggnog.

However, it's probably even more similar to the Mexican version of eggnog, known as rompopo (which, incidentally, was reputedly conceived of by the Puebla-based nuns of Santa Clara). Rompopo is like coquito only made with a very heavy dose of Mexican cinnamon, and grain alcohol can be substituted for the rum. There is also a Peruvian eggnog called biblia con pisco, which is made with pomace brandy instead of rum.

BurningTongues says: "Thought you might like to know that coquito means "little coqui". A coqui is a little puerto rican frog that makes a strange vocalization that sounds just like it's name 'Coqui! Coqui!'. It's an animal very close to the hearts of Puerto Ricans"

And with that, here are a couple of recipes:

Classic coquito:

4 cups coconut milk
6 tablespoons white sugar
8 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 tablespoons dark rum
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

  • Combine the coconut milk and the sugar in a saucepan and scald over medium heat.
  • Beat the egg yolks with the vanilla. Beat in 12 cup of the scalded mixture into the egg yolks. Then whisk all the egg yolk mixture into the scalded mixture. Stirring mixture constantly, cook over low heat until mixture reaches a temperature of 160 degrees F (71 degrees C). The mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. DO NOT BOIL.
  • Strain the eggnog into a bowl. Stir in the rum and let cool to room temperature. Place plastic wrap on the surface and refrigerate until well chilled. Once chilled serve with nutmeg sprinkled on top.

Another recipe, non-traditional and non-eggy, with Coco Lopez:

2 cans Coco-Lopez coconut milk
2 cans condensed milk
4 - 6 oz Bacardi white rum
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract

  • Mix all ingredients in a blender and chill. Remove from refrigerator a half hour prior to serving and warm slightly...

Enjoy!


www.allrecipes.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.