Another delicious and impressive party nibble of the vegetarian variety. Takes a while to do the preparation steps, but they aren't complicated, just a little slow.
For 12 tarts:
- Pre-heat oven to 180C (350F)
- Cut rounds out of bread large enough to cover the cups of a shallow patty pan
- Dip bread in olive oil, turning so that there's oil on both sides.
- Drain, and press into the patty pan for nice concave tart bases - weigh with baking beans or dried peas. If you don't have a patty pan, bake flat on a papered baking tray - the tarts will be slightly harder to eat, but still delicious
- Bake for 5-10 minutes until golden and crisp
- Follow the recipe for caramelized onions here
or, for a slightly quicker filling:
- Cut onions into quarters and slice
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil with a good pinch of salt over a low to medium heat and add onions
- Stir over the heat for 15 minutes - do not be tempted to turn the heat up or the onions will over-brown/burn - until softened and turning golden
- Add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to the pan
- Stir, still over a low heat, for another 5-10 minutes until the mixture is sticky, thick and hanging together.
- Fill the tart cases with the onion (or put the onion on top if the bases are flat, making a well in the centre of the onion)
- Top with feta and serve.
do the assembly of case
, onions and feta at the venue you'll be serving at to avoid the bases losing crispness
, and serve immediately - they won't last long enough to go soggy