A burfi is a type of Indian sweet. Its basically made from milk, sugar, cream and possibly other additives. From what I have researched, most people think its Pan-Indian. And since its origin is so old, our neighbour is fairly fond of it; as this recipe and/or its variations must have existed before the Partition of India


Ingredients:

  1. Milk Powder --  3 cups 
  2. Sugar --  1 cup 
  3. Cream -- 300 grams

Tools:

Here are your Instructions

  • Pour the three cups of milk powder, and one cup of sugar in the mixing bowl.
  • Mix
  • Now, pour the cream on top and spin it in the microwave for two minutes.
  • Now mix vigorously. Repeat the same procedure of heating and mixing, three times more.
  • And finally, when you've the mixed it the last time - put it in the plate & start levelling.

Each time when you heat it up, make sure you spin it around for a minute and a half, while keeping it on normal heat. Beware, I use a microwave which requires 1100 Watts of energy and hence, you might need to change the time-period according to how powerful your microwave is. The overall effect which I am aiming to achieve by heating it up 4 times is to be able to make it more moldable, much like wet cement. This will help you mix it better and faster. A cup is 250 mL in Australia and hence you can effectively take it from there. The cream used needs to be full cream or pure cream with a fat content of 35-40%. 

Oh and don't forget to refrigerate. You can store the burfi for very long periods of a month and a little more. After all of this, you will get a slab shaped pudding; cut it down into smaller pieces for easier usage. Enjoy!

Cook's secrets - While mixing and heating, you shall realise how the burfi keeps sticking onto the spatula. Here, the little spoon shall come handy. Use the back for constantly getting it off the spatula and onto the mixing bowl. And when no-one's looking, scoop that brilliant little piece and try a chomp.

Burfi generally has a sweetened milky-dough flavour. Its simplicity is what attracts most people. You can take it as a quick sweet snack, dessert or sometimes even with evening tea. 

The above recipe is pretty much the simplest version of burfi. Of course, over the years people have come up with fancier stuff like putting in Chocolate flavour; or wrapping it with edible silver leaf, which is a general practice in all Indian sweet-shops. The second one is done to attract customers and show off a more festive side of the burfi. Another practice is to add ground cashew nuts to the burfi mixture wherein the cashew to sugar ratio is 2:1. The cashew version is effectively called Kaju Burfi. You can also add related stuff like saffron, almonds, pistachios, walnuts and even rose water. The variations are quite frankly, endless. 

Cheers...!

 

 

Here's one I made recently.

 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.