A comic book published by Marvel Comics. It made its first appearance in 1972 and was created by writer Gerry Conway and artist Mike Ploog.

In the early 1970s, Marvel, fearing a downturn in its superhero comics, decided to diversify into other comic book genres. Thanks to a recent modification in the Comics Code Authority guidelines, horror comics were acceptable again, so Marvel quickly churned out a variety of comics about monsters, including "Ghost Rider," "Tomb of Dracula," "Monster of Frankenstein," and others, including one of the few comics to ever focus solely on a lycanthrope: "Werewolf by Night."

The comic's hero was a young man suffering from an old family curse that caused him to turn into a werewolf whenever the moon was full. The werewolf's name was Jack Russell. Yes, Marvel chose to name their savage, snarling, rampaging man-beast after a small, adorable, yappy breed of dog. As if it wasn't bad enough having to introduce himself to the Avengers as "Werewolf by Night." ("Forsooth?" says Thor, "What else dost they call thee? Pretentious Twit by Day?")

Anyway, Jack got to transform and howl and snarl and chase cars in every issue of his comic book, though sometimes he'd be able to control his transformations and even keep his human intelligence. The comic lasted until 1977, which is pretty good for a fairly minor horror comic. He's made occasional guest appearances since then, though there was another short-lived "Werewolf by Night" series in 1998.

The character was adapted to a black-and-white television special on the Disney+ streaming service in 2022. The special ran less than an hour and was directed by Michael Giacchino as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Gael Garcia Bernal played Jack Russell; also appearing in the program were Laura Donnelly as Elsa Bloodstone, with Carey Jones performing motion-capture as the Man-Thing.

Research from http://www.toonopedia.com/werewolf.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.