Popular sculpture, known to some as the Shy Buddha


"Buddha is crying for the suffering of the World and his angst for the persistent sorrow in our lives"
New Buddhist




He's seated tailor-fashion with crossed legs, bowed down as if in pain. His hands cover his face. His back is bowed as he leans forward almost in a fœtal position. The sculpture is most often found carved in wood, but I have one in cast resin stone.

The story most frequently related is of two warriors who would often meet in battle. Try as they might, neither could best the other. Finally, one of them gets the upper hand (in some tellings he loses his cool and goes beserk) and in that moment is victorious and strikes a killing blow. Happy with his victory he bows to his defeated opponent and bends down to remove his helmet and facemask. On doing so he is devastated to discover that he has beaten and killed his only son. Stricken with grief, his victory now meaningless, he falls to the ground weeping. None are able to console him as he covers his face with his hands to try to hide from the horror of what he has done.

The story is most often told of the Warrior Buddha, who now cries for the suffering of all beings, in an attempt to lessen their pain. I've also heard that carving the Weeping Buddha was set as a challenge to apprentice woodcarvers, who were given the task to help them practice in larger forms before moving on to master detailed work such as the face.


The sculpture is kept by people who value their understanding that life is painful, but who are seeking peace and relief. I've heard it said that rubbing its back will bring peace of mind; some rub oil into the statue before sleep to ensure a peaceful night or good dreams. It's used in mediation to develop empathy and understanding as well as to reduce mental turmoil. It is certainly a help in meditation if I'm stressed or cross or anxious about something. It's my habit to sit zazen once a day and whilst I can't say it helps, it certainly doesn't hinder.

Yet others think of it as the Shy Buddha or Shy Yogi, one meditating to open up the third eye. The metaphysical aspect is best left for someone else to describe; I am, as Christine used to say, eating Religion McNuggets.




I'm not a Buddhist. I'm not anything, really. I'm more a Stoic Taoist Nature Pagan, but Buddhism has some philosophical elements that suit how I live my life. because I don't really believe all that nonsense, even though I have this, and a Green Man plaque and a statue of Lord Ganesh =]

In any case, enjoy this little gift I bring to you. Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.