The Water Gods of Greek Mythology

There are many water gods in greek mythology, which are as follows:

Poseidon (Neptune)was the lord and auler of the Mediterranean, and the Friendly Sea Euxine (Black Sea). He was the son of Cronus (Saturn) and Gaea (Rhea). He ruled the Underground waters, and was known to be ruler of the water nymphs who came to his beckoning call.

Ocean was a titan, and he was lord of the river that ran all across the world. His wife was also a titan, Tethys. Their daughters were the nymphs of the great rivers (Oceanids), and the gods of the rivers were their sons.

Pontus (deep sea) was the son of Gaea and the father of Nereus, an important sea god.

Nereus was the old man of the sea, often told about in sailor tales. He was married to Doris a daughter of Ocean and they had fifty daughters also konw as the nymphs of the sea, but they were called the Nereids after their father. Two of his daughters (Thetis and Amphitrite) were the wives of Poseidon.

Triton was the trumpetor of the sea. He used a giant shell for a trumpet, and he was the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite.

Proteus was supposaidly the son and the attendant to Poseidon. He was known for changing his shape at will, and could see the future.

The Naiads were nymphs of the water who lived in ponds, springs, and small bodies of waters.

Wa"ter god` (?). Myth.

A fabulous deity supposed to dwell in, and preside over, some body of water.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.