VMS is a very stable operating system. It's not Unix neither Mainframe, but its market is roughly between those two - high end servers, workstations, and distributed systems with very high security demands (C2 out of the box and with a good system manager it can go higher). Security features include (optional) auditing of virtually all system components, fine-grained access control lists and user privileges, detailed control of every user's console and graphics shell settings. It supports X-Windows, Motif and CDE; as for networking - it has it's own proprietary DECnet protocol, but lately TCP/IP is being integrated more and more and it's possible (and quite easy) to setup a web/ftp/telnet/mailserver on VMS.

Although it has a reputation of being slow and old-fashioned and is usually connected to the old VAX computers, that is wrong - the system is being constantly updated; Compaq's recently updated OpenVMS roadmap is showing that they aim to make the system more open, make more (and by mid-2001 eventually all) system parameters (such as MAXPROCESSCNT) dynamic, so one doesn't have to reboot to activate the changes. It's a pretty easy system for the manager, however its philosophy is somewhat different from Unix in this area: there's only one shell - DCL, which is quite primitive as a language - IF and GOTO are the only control structures, there are virtually no data structures, etc. - but a lot can be done using it's so-called "lexcial functions" (essentially system calls). Though AFAIK versions of bash, csh and the like exist, they are not widely used. Unlike Unix, where the manager often edits various text files to change the config, the management in VMS is done mostly through commands and "command procedures" (scripts) - most of configuration files are binary, unlike Unix, for instance SYSUAF.DAT (the VMS variant of Unix's passwd).

A lot of free software, including EMACS, Perl, Python, Apache, gcc, Mozilla and xbill was ported to VMS. For programmers - it supports POSIX, modern memory management (it was one of the pioneers in the field of paging), threading.

To conclude - it's not Unix, and it's stinking proprietary, but it's good if you have a lot of money and need very high security and scalability.

Also stands for Variable Message Sign, which warns you of traffic on the freeway.

visionary = V = voice

VMS /V-M-S/ n.

DEC's proprietary operating system for its VAX minicomputer; one of the seven or so environments that loom largest in hacker folklore. Many Unix fans generously concede that VMS would probably be the hacker's favorite commercial OS if Unix didn't exist; though true, this makes VMS fans furious. One major hacker gripe with VMS concerns its slowness -- thus the following limerick:

   There once was a system called VMS
   Of cycles by no means abstemious.
        It's chock-full of hacks
        And runs on a VAX
   And makes my poor stomach all squeamious.
                                    --- The Great Quux

See also VAX, TOPS-10, TOPS-20, Unix, runic.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.