Tran"som (?), n. [Probably fr. L. transtrum a crossbeam, transom, from trans across. Cf. Trestle.]

1. Arch.

A horizontal crossbar in a window, over a door, or between a door and a window above it. Transom is the horizontal, as mullion is the vertical, bar across an opening. See Illust. of Mullion.

2. Naut.

One of the principal transverse timbers of the stern, bolted to the sternpost and giving shape to the stern structure; -- called also transsummer.

3. Gun.

The piece of wood or iron connecting the cheeks of some gun carriages.

4. Surg.

The vane of a cross-staff.


5. Railroad

One of the crossbeams connecting the side frames of a truck with each other.

Transom knees Shipbuilding, knees bolted to the transoms and after timbers. -- Transom window. Arch. (a) A window divided horizontally by a transom or transoms. (b) A window over a door, with a transom between.


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.