I notice that the word depressed is often misused and abused. Nodes such as "How to be be properly depressed: A Noder's Guide" are a perfect example of what I'm saying.

Why is it now hip to be blue? In the insecure world that we live in it seems people like to over-dramatise day to day situations and feelings that are as normal as anything!

So you say you're depressed? What happened in your oh-so-difficult life? Did you break up with your significant other? Did you just fail an important exam? Did you find out that you are sick and will need to be operated?

I think we underestimate the triviality of such everyday experiences which make life, well.. life! We're not depressed, we're only sad.. .or upset, or frustrated. I just think it's a bit over the top to generalise this way and tag every single negative emotion as Depression. I believe real depression is a disease, a chemical imbalance in your brain that causes you to feel sad for no reason at all.

If you are "Depressed" and you know the cause of it, then you're not depressed, but merely being challenged. Let's not throw the towel and pretend to be hopeless misers.


Let's call our emotions by the names we've given them.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.