Most of the people I know are in a relationship of one kind of another. Codependent or one-sided, just ending one or just beginning one. It seems as if most individuals, starting during the high school years, feel the need to be emotionally and/or physically involved with someone to be a whole person. I know one young lady who has been in relationships the entire time I have known her. As long as I've known her (going on 5 years), she's always had a boyfriend. Different ones, of course, with different shelf-lives, but always with the S.O.

Now, on some level, I can understand this. I come home at night to an empty (though spacious) dorm room, and live in my own little world, hearing college students all around me living their lives *with* someone. At 3 in the morning, when you're reading about the TCP keepalive functionality, and you're treated to the sounds of an orgy floating up from the neighbors downstairs, it can put a sad note into an otherwise happy moment. What can you do besides turn up the techno and dive further into fun stuff like the Nagle algorithm and SMTP get-next commands?

But I'm straying from the point. While I occasionally find myself thinking "Gosh, I've had a relationship once or twice. Those were nice. We should try that again...", I've had ample opportunity to (forgive the granola moment) find myself. I've done the "sit on the mountaintop of your soul and breathe in the wind of your id" kind of thing.

I keep meeting these nice (though boring) women who complain and complain about their loser boyfriends. At some point I usually point out the obvious solution of single-hood, and they get the wrikley nose and the aghast expression on their faces. "But then, like, what would I do on Friday and Saturday nights? And everyone would think I was weird, being the only one without a boyfriend."

*Sigh*
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is "You don't need to be in a relationship to be happy." If you are, and you are, good for you! But if you're single, and are having a fine time of it, don't look up with a rabbit in the gun-sights look and go "Oh Crap! I have no one!" This is counter-productive, mostly culture induced, and likely to end up with you waking up next to a Tibetan hooker named Sandy with rug burn and the clap.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.