"New Zealand Story" (or also known as "Kiwi Kraze") was an omnidirectional platform game released in 1988 by Taito
origionally on the Spectrum. It was then later released on a number of different platforms such as NES
until it was finally released in the arcade
Playing as a kiwi
bird know as Tiki (tie-ki), the objective of the game is to rescue your fellow kiwi friends who were kidnapped
from a zoo by a large walrus who, for no reason apparent, decided to leave said kidnapped kiwis in seperate cages dotted around New Zealand
. Tiki must run, jump, swim and fight for his friends freedom
- and his own safety!
- Primary weapon and also the weakest. Does no through-wall damage
and is ineffective against some armour
- The first new weapon in the game. Explode on impact to either ground or enemy.
- Fires balls of fire that bounce from walls and surfaces of water. Can kill many enemies in a row.
- Shoots a long, blue laser ray that travels through any enemy or wall.
- Allows flying all vehicles with just the control pad/joystick instead of using buttons as well
- Will accelerate Tiki to a very fast speed. Will also accelerate vehicles
with exception to the UFO
which is already the fastest thing in the game
- Temporarily freezes all enemies and projectile
objects for 15 seconds
- Kills all enemies on screen and also takes one point of damage on vehicles
- takes you right next to the cage at the end of the level with your time restored.
- Makes Tiki invulnerable
to any enemy or trap for 45 seconds. Only problem with this is you can still drown
Teddy bear head
- The most primitive
vehicle in the game and is relativly slow. It only takes one hit to destroy
- Still primitive in the sense that it can be destroyed with one hit but is considerably faster than the teddy bear head
Hot air baloon
- About as fast as the duck and is able to pass through smaller spaces than most of the other vehicles. Only takes one hit to destroy
- Not much of a change from the teddy bear head except you can hang from a string below the baloon.
- Incredibly slow moving (unless freefalling) but indestructible
to arrows, spears, stones and turtle fires. Tiki can hang below the baloon from a chord or sit on top, although either way makes you taller meaning you can't pass through small spaces
- In a lot of ways like the metal baloon except its faster and not indestructible. If hit with arrows, spears, stones, fire and traps a layer of the baloon pops and changes its colour.
- A large zeppelin
with a hanging basket at the bottom. Takes 4 hits to destroy but shows no sign of damage.
- Resembling your steriotypical UFO, it is the fastest vehicle in the game and only requires you to move it with the direction buttions/joystick. The Laser UFO is indestructible to arrows, spikes, turtle fire, stones and traps. It also replaces your weapon with a powerful laser