This is a quick vegetable dish I make to round out a Chinese dinner menu. It provides a simple contrast to any highly flavored or thick-sauced dish. The celery and ginger develop a bit of a nutty flavor, which is accentuated by throwing slivered almonds over the top.

    Ingredients
  • 1 large bunch of celery
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • ginger root
  • peanut or corn oil
  • sea salt
  • red chili flakes
  • slivered almonds (toasted or raw)
    Method
  1. Thinly slice the celery stalks across the grain, about ½ cm long.
  2. Slice coins of ginger from the piece of ginger root. Smash them with the flat of a knife, and throw them in the wok.
  3. Skin the garlic cloves. Smash them with the flat of a knife, and throw them in the wok.
  4. Pour a couple tablespoons of oil into the wok and begin heating. The wok is hot enough when the ginger and garlic are foaming.
  5. Swirl the oil about the sides of the wok, and toss in the celery slices. Continue to toss the celery as it cooks.
  6. Sprinkle sea salt and red chili flakes on the celery.
  7. Continue to toss. The celery is done when crisp, but al dente. The green of the celery will brighten in color.
  8. Remove to a serving dish, salvage the larger pieces of garlic and discard them. Sprinkle with slivered almonds. Serve.

This recipe can be used as an outline for stir-frying fresh spinach as well. liveforever recommends parsnips prepared in a similar manner.

Any leftovers can be quickly combined with leftover rice, scrambled egg, and crumbled fried tempeh or bacon to make fried rice.

Back to:
Recipes from P to T
Chinese Recipes
Vegetable Recipes
Vegan Recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.