Another example of a creole is sranan, spoken in Suriname and decended from Dutch.

some common words and phrases in sranan:
mi - i;
a - he/she/it;
wi - we;
den - they;
yu - you(singular);
unu - you(plural, aka 'you guys');
man - male;
uma - female;

fa yu tan - how are you;
mi bun - i am well;
tan bun - stay well;
mi siki - i am ill;
tan siki - stay ill;
mi wroko gi _ - i work for _;
mi kompo de _ - i come from _;

wan - one;
tu - two;
tri - three;
fo - four;
feyfi - five;
siksi - six;
seybi - seven;
ayti - eight;
neygi - nine;
tin - ten;

mi abi # pikin - i have # children;
mi pikin/manpikin/umapikin abi # yari - my child/son/daughter is # years old;

Sranan is, contrary to (Dutch) popular thinking, NOT descendant from Dutch, but has its origin in West-African languages, as well as Portugese and English. This is why it is also known as Negro-English. It is easy to see why someone would think Sranan is descended from Dutch, since it's highly contaminated with that language over the last 50 years, in the part of the Surinamese population that is in most contact with the outside world, the city-population of capital Paramaribo.

The level of contamination is comparable and not unlike to that of all other Germanic (since English is a Germanic language) and Scandinavian languages with English, when people in these languages are dealing with or speaking about the ICT and the computer world.

The last given example should indicate to even the most superficial filologist, with even the flightiest of ideas about Latin languages, that Sranan is not likely to be descendant from Dutch. To indicate age in Germanic languages, one generally has this construction: "I am # number of years old" with the verb to be. In Latin languages, however, the verb to HAVE is used. This clearly indicates a Latin influence like Portugese rather than a Germanic one, like Dutch. This is further supported by the occurence of Latin derative words such as "sabi", which means "to know". In Portugese: "saber".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.