The "Reciprocality Project", which can be found at http://www.reciprocality.org is a collection of papers written by Alan G. Carter, co-author of The Programmer's Stone. These papers begin with an examination of human society, and go on to examine deep philosophical ideas and theories.

There are seven papers in the project. Each is associated with an "Artificial Discipline" that it purports to relate to. Unfortunately, I myself do not know much of the current science of the various disciplines presented, so I cannot really comment much on how valid the ideas are.

  • 1: M0 (Artificial Discipline: Neurochemistry) - This paper presents the concept of a neurological parasite called M0 that clouds and limits humanity's thought. While it is difficult to figure out whether or not the authors believe this is a physical parasite, the symptoms they describe are strikingly feasible. (Note: Carter co-wrote this paper with several others, see the site for a full list)
  • 2: The Ghost Not (Artificial Discipline: Logical Philosophy) - This paper presents a theoretical error in the logic systems most people use. It relies heavily on G. Spencer Brown's Laws of Form. This idea is used throughout the rest of the papers.
  • 3: Reciprocal Cosmology (Artificial Discipline: Fundamental physics) - This is where everything starts to get a little weird. Carter describes a physical system completely different from what is understood by every physicist. Sadly, I don't know enough about physics to point out where his flaws are, if they do indeed exist. From my simple perspective, what he says makes sense, although it is difficult to wrap one's head around it all.
  • 4: Consciousness (Artificial Discipline: Consciousness studies) - This paper describes Carter's theory on the evolution of consciousness by humans. It then goes on to describe how consciousness brought about culture, and so forth. An interesting read.

This is where I start to lose a grip on what Carter's saying. It is also where he starts to really show you the philosophical system he is trying to develop. After this point, to even vaguely understand anything, you have to have read the first papers, but I will list the others for completeness's sake.

  • 5: Hypertime (Artificial Discipline: Fundamental Semiotics)
  • 6: History (Artificial Discipline: Applied theology) - This paper presents the 114 Logias of the Gospel of Thomas and Carter's analysis of each in the context of his own system. Most seem to match up well, some are stretches. They're all interesting, though.
  • 7: Magic (Artificial Discipline: None)

All in all, this is a very interesting read. There will be a lot you don't agree with, especially the farther you go on, but by the end you will look at the world at least a little bit differently. Also check out The Programmer's Stone, which is on the site as well, if you're a programmer-type person.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.