What's that? You don't like prunes, you say? Yes, this recipe would sound oh so much more appetizing if it was called Plums in Port Wine, but alas, they're not quite the same thing... so I'll just have to insist you try this ridiculously easy and tasty recipe before taking your word for it.

Ingredients

  • 125g prunes with seeds
    • Whole prunes with the seed still inside will stay intact better, but you can use seedless ones in a pinch
  • 1 dl port wine
      This is a good way to dispose of suboptimal ports, or those dregs that have been sitting at the bottom of the bottle for a bit too long
  • 0.5 dl sugar
  • A stick of cinnamon
  • Water
Instructions

  1. Place prunes in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 12 hours.
  2. The prunes will by now have more or less reconstituted their pre-dried appearance. Drain, keeping 1 dl of the soaking water for the next step.
  3. Place prunes, port, soaking water, sugar and cinnamon in a pot. Bring to a boil, stir carefully (just enough to dissolve sugar) and cook gently for 30 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and allow to cool down. That's it!
Serving

These can be used in two ways: as a condiment, or as dessert.

If used as a condiment, you'll want to pair them with pork or poultry, which pair up well with something as sweet and spicy as this. Just serve in a separate dish and skewer at will.

For dessert, most anything dairy will match nicely. Whipped cream, perhaps with a dash of cognac if you're feeling decadent? Vanilla ice cream? Even yogurt, in a pinch? And by no means let the juice go to waste; instead, drizzle it over the dish and scoop it up. Yum yum!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.