Someone employed to act as a hermit, often in a purpose-built structure.


"A Living Garden Gnome?"
Historic Mysteries


The truly wealthy can be a peculiar bunch, sometimes prone to do outrageous things simply because they can afford it. A classic example might be the follies that were seemingly once popular in the UK. The rich sometimes seem to be determined to outdo one another in astonishingly absurd and creative ways.

The ornamental hermit, or "garden hermit" was a trend in the 18th and 19th centuries, in which hermits were "encouraged" to take up residence in purpose-built structures, either grottoes or small chapels. Here their basic needs were taken care of. Shelter was a given but food and clothing were also supplied, and occasionally even a small stipend. The practice may have begun in continental Europe with Francis of Paola, who began living in a cave on his father's estate following a pilgrimage tour of Italy. He was later joined by two companions, and at this point his father built a chapel and living accommodation.

Other nobility followed suit, and built structures for habitation. The first well known such project was at the Château de Gaillon, under the direction of Charles, Cardinal of Bourbon. "If you build it, they will come", and come they apparently did. Some of these hermits were certainly mystics or religiously inclined, some almost certainly were attending to their mundane needs. While the hermits of this time were often religious, true anchorites, others were playing a role. As the practice grew, it became fashionable to have a hermit at the bottom of the garden, and they could expect either visitors to impress or entertain, as their lords required.

In England too, nobles and wealthy courtiers were building follies for hermits. In the late 16th century, Elizabeth I was invited by both Robert and William Cecil to their home, where she was entertained by their resident hermit. As time went on various other households worked to outdo one another. Some of them doubtless built romantic follies, some simple grottoes. The Weld family went wild, having not just a hermitage but a fort and harbour at their property in Dorset.

Recruiting hermits may not have been easy, and things did not always go to plan. Being a hermit was also a mixed bag; often the poor souls were former agricultural labourers, who being devoid of a pension would have been grateful for the opportunity. After all if they were getting fed and clothed and all they had to do was put on robes or a "dunce's cap" for the lord's visitors it wasn't a bad deal. But then some were required never to bathe or trim their hair or beards, there are a few advertisements laying out these requirements. Often there were contracts laying out the conditions, and there could be a good deal of variation in the terms. Some had to wear particular costumes, some would serve drinks to guests or recite poetry, some would be expected to be seen doing garden chores. Some were even required never to have any social intercourse whatsoever, really acting out the role.

Things didn't always go well for both parties. One hermit, hired to live at Painshill for seven years (for a payment of £600) was sacked after being discovered in a local pub. According to the contract,

"He shall be provided with a Bible, optical glasses, a mat for his feet, a hassock for his pillow, an hourglass for a timepiece, water for his beverage and food from the house. He must wear a camlet robe and never under any circumstances must he cut his beard or nails, stray beyond the limits of Mr Hamilton's grounds, or exchange one word with the servant."

Not everyone actually went to these lengths to procure a hermit. Some would build the folly and just pretend they had occupancy. I can imagine the scene in which guests, inquiring after the (alleged) hermit, would be shown the cave, only to be told "Of course he won't come out, he's a hermit!"





Iron node 25

$ xclip -o | wc -w
675

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.