Company based in Kansas City, Missouri, that specializes in the retail of large quantities of closeout items. Founded in 1975 by Jim Shea, the company operates a huge storage facility in a cave. Among the items they seem to never run out of are plastic pizza cutters at 5 cents apiece (though how you cut pizza with a plastic cutter is beyond me, maybe that's why they always have the same million of them in stock), beanie babies, hand puppets and Mr. Potato Head massagers (there obviously aren't enough people with a sick enough sense of humour). Did you know that Citizen, famous for its timepieces, also made electric toothbrushes? No? That's because they didn't want you to know, but you can buy the evidence right here in lots of 200. With instructions in six languages. A number of the bulk articles on sale (like the plastic bag sealer, $4, 2100 units per box) are surplus or failed "as seen on TV" (five years ago) products.

The company's most famous retail item is the mass--approximately one million--of new Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 games, which they sell in batches of twelve for two dollars per game. There are probably no rare titles but the list includes classics such as Donkey Kong, Asteroids and Ms Pacman. It's all there, just in case you didn't play enough Pole Position in 1984. By late 2007 they'd managed to sell out of titles like Space Invaders and Mario Bros. but the selection was still impressive.

The company accepts orders online at http://www.oshealtd.com/ and by phone at (816) 531-1177. They also sell Atari track shirts and t-shirts with game logos. Not the kind of place I'd normally shop from but then, who knows, I might one day get the urge to buy ten tons of South American gold ore and pan it in my spare time. With one of the (now up to) two million plastic pizza cutters, and wearing one of 23000 pairs of $5 sneakers made in Vietnam, while camping out on the 14.42 acres of lovely real estate in Colorado that I bought from O'Shea Ltd. Eat dirt, Costco.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.