Nyasa lovebirds (AKA Lillian's Lovebird) are one of the eight African species of lovebirds.

At first glance, Nyasas look very much like Fischers, which unfortunately has resulted in people letting the two mix and match until finding a pure Nyasa is nigh on impossible. As such, the Nyasa lovebird is considered to be one of the rare species of lovebirds for breeders, and the species as a whole (both wild and captive) have a conservation status of "near threatened". There are less than 20,000 in the wild (most of which are living in the Liwonde National Park) due to their feeding and breeding grounds being overtaken for agricultural purposes.

Nyasas are bright green birds with black barring on their wingtips, orange faces that taper to pink on their crowns and yellow on their throats. While there is no real sexual dimorphism, males do tend to have a bit more yellow around their necks.

Nyasas are actually smaller, more slender, and more compact than Fischers. While Fischers have blue rumps, Nyasas are pure green, and if blue in the tail is present, then it is a sign of hybridization. The coloring on their faces is also softer than that of a Fischer (unfortunately, as one of the well-intentioned reasons for Fischer-Nyasa crossbreeding was to brighten and improve the Nyasa's face coloration), and their beaks are pink at the base rather than solid red. Like the Fischers, Nyasas have the white eye-ring.

Unlike other lovebird species (peachfaces especially), Nyasa Lovebirds are not bred for mutations and color combinations. Since the species is so hard to come by they are bred for purity. The only pure Nyasa mutation is lutino (and even then some suspect that it is the result of a pure Nyasa being bred with a split Fischer-Nyasa hybrid). Any other mutation- blues, violets, albinos, etc.- means that the bird's line is the result of Fischer hybridization.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.