For tax purposes:
If your casualty or theft loss deduction is more than your income; you may have a net operating loss(NOL). You can use a NOL to lower your taxes in an earlier year, allowing you to get a refund for taxes you have already paid. or, you can use it to lower your taxes in a later year. You do not have to be in business to have an NOL from a casualty or theft loss.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.