Part of the Electronic Arts
series of Mutant League
games for the Sega Genesis
. The basic premise was take afootball
game, but replace the humans with trolls
, and lots of other nasties
. It played just like the Electronic Arts
' own Madden
series, except with a few twists.
- Players could, and were often killed by vicious tackles. And I don't mean just broken necks, I mean dismembered and splattered everywhere.
- Mines, potholes, and pits of fire were sprinkled liberally throughout the field.
- Going out of bounds sometimes resulted in falling off the edge of the world.
- The refs took bribes. This resulted in the opposition getting random, funny 5 yard penalties, such as "looking ugly" or "not enough effort". The only option for the other team was to run the "kill the ref" play which cost them another 5 yards.
- Each team would get four "nasty" plays to use per half (two for offense, two for defense). These would give your team special powers like super speed or extra power for a play. Other nasty plays included "exploding ball", "blind passing", and "reversed controls". The best was clearly the Terminator Trollz second offense nasty play, which would let the ball carrier fart to blow up other players. The game actually contains a bug where it will give you unlimited fart plays, as long as you keep choosing it at every scrimmage. Keep in mind this only works with the Trollz, and the fart play.
The game was well received but bombed
in sales, as did it's brother Mutant League Hockey
. A Mutant League Basketball
was once previewed in GamePro
magazine, but never released.
There was actually a short lived cartoon
based on the Mutant League
games. As you probably guessed, it was called "Mutant League". It was only shown in syndication