In many team sports, the team which currently has the ability to score.

In professional American football, the offense and defense are usually composed of entirely different players, but in most other sports where the terms offense and defense can reasonably be used, these are mostly or entirely the same players.

Of*fense", Of*fence" (?), n. [F., fr. L. offensa. See Offend.]

1.

The act of offending in any sense; esp., a crime or a sin, an affront or an injury.

Who was delivered for our offenses, and was raised again for our justification. Rom. iv. 25.

I have given my opinion against the authority of two great men, but I hope without offense to their memories. Dryden.

2.

The state of being offended or displeased; anger; displeasure.

He was content to give them just cause of offense, when they had power to make just revenge. Sir P. Sidney.

3.

A cause or occasion of stumbling or of sin.

[Obs.]

Woe to that man by whom the offense cometh! Matt. xviii. 7.

⇒ This word, like expense, is often spelled with a c. It ought, however, to undergo the same change with expense, the reasons being the same, namely, that s must be used in offensive as in expensive, and is found in the Latin offensio, and the French offense.

To take offense, to feel, or assume to be, injured or affronted; to become angry or hostile. -- Weapons of offense, those which are used in attack, in distinction from those of defense, which are used to repel.

Syn. -- Displeasure; umbrage; resentment; misdeed; misdemeanor; trespass; transgression; delinquency; fault; sin; crime; affront; indignity; outrage; insult.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.