MusicCity (web site at www.musiccity.com) is an OpenNap server network independent from Napster Inc.
What this means is that MusicCity provides an alternative to the Napster servers; in this they are not unique (a visit to the Napigator site will show you the other alternative OpenNap server networks).

MusicCity is currently the biggest, though. They certainly are fast, and the network size is second only to the official Napster network. They claim that they have a dedicated network infrastructure, Venusian three-armed engineers and faster than light IP routing - or something like that.
The question is, how are they going to make this pay ? Maybe in the future they will turn into a subscription based service.

They also have a curious policy, that starts by stating the obvious and applying the CYA principle:

MusicCity.com Network allows users to share content files with one another. The content files located through our network are not stored on our servers. MusicCity.com does not and cannot control what content is available to users through the network. Users decide what content to make available to others and what content to download. Users are responsible for complying with all applicable federal and state laws applicable to such content, including copyright laws. Unauthorized copying, distribution, modification, public display, or public performance of copyrighted works is an infringement of the copyright holders' rights. You agree that you will not use the MusicCity.com Network to infringe the intellectual property rights of others.

The funny bit, though, is the subsequent explication of how to report a copyright infraction on the MusicCity network.

Notices Must Be in Writing

1. We must obtain the information below in writing in the form of a "Notice of Copyright Infringement" ("Notice"). We will not accept nor respond to verbal, telephonic, or other Notices that are not compliant with the DMCA's requirements.

2. Notices must Include a Physical Signature of a Person Authorized to Act on Behalf of the Owner of an Exclusive Right that is Allegedly Infringed. Each Notice must include a physical (pen-on-paper) signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed. Under the DMCA, an "electronic signature" may also be acceptable. The law, however, does not specify what constitutes a suitable "electronic signature" and the current technological limitations in authenticating and verifying e-mail communications creates a great risk of fraud. Thus, at this time MusicCity .com will not be able to respond to any e-mail Notices of claimed copyright infringement. You must send any Notices to us by U.S. MAIL, EXPRESS DELIVERY or other means of physical delivery.
Contents of Notice
At a minimum, the Notice must include the following information:

(i) Identification of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered in the Notice, a representative list of the copyrighted works that you claim have been infringed by using the MusicCity.com Network;

(ii) Identification of the reference, link or IP address, to material or activity that you claim is infringing, that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate that reference, link or IP address.

(iii) A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;

(iv) Your street or mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address for us to contact you;

(v) A signed, witnessed and notarized statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that all the information in your Notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner, or authorized to act on behalf of an owner of any exclusive right that is allegedly infringed by the materials referenced in your Notice.

Delivery to Designated Agent
To be effective, a Notice must be addressed and delivered to MusicCity.com's Designated Copyright Agent, as follows:
J. Roger Hamilton
101 SW Main Street
Suite 1100
Portland, OR 97204
NO PHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED

I mean, they want paper mail, notarized and signed by the copyright holder - and the offending file may last very little on line! I have the impression that this is nearly impossible to enforce.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.