Mike Martz is the current head coach of the St. Louis Rams of the National Football League. His press conference rhetoric is almost regal and his vocabulary is not that of a footballer. He wears small and golden Benjamin Franklinesque spectacles that glisten in the stadium lights while white curly hair encircles his pudgy yet wise face and the whole thing is split and teleported a million times every Sunday or Monday into the homes of his blue and gold subjects and otherwise colored enemies.

Mike has been professionally involved with the NFL for ten years. He spent his first two years with the Washington Redskins as a quarterback coach and moved to the Rams for the 1994 season. Mike stuck with the offensive game and worked with the Rams' wide receivers until 1999 when he became the offensive coordinator. When head coach Dick Vermeil left after his Super Bowl championship run in 1999, Ram's owner Georgia Frontiere appointed Mike as the 21st head coach in the Ram's 65 year history.

The Rams reached the Super Bowl in 1999 under the offensive command of Mike Martz. Mike is known as a bit of a gambler when it comes to calling plays, but has the luxury of doing so possessing the league's best quarterback and running back in Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk, respectively. Those two players won back to back Most Valuable Player awards in 1999 and 2000. Mike is also known for his shocking variation and depth of playbook. His grab-bag plays rival in number his selection of standard play calls. Although his offense put up the most points scored per game and his defense secured the most number of wins last season, the Rams lost to the New England Patriots and the young quarterback Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.

Although the last three years have been fruitful for the Rams, they are currently struggling in the 2002 season. As of September 24, 2002 the Rams have lost three and have won zero games, with thirteen games remaining in the season. Instantly, Mike Martz' reputation has changed from a liberal yet solid winner and as close to a genius as a man who tells other men how to throw around a ball can get, to a laissez fair cappuccino drinker who has succumb to the inevitable downfall of all gambling men.

Mike Martz's reputation as a head coach lingers in the balance of the 2002 St Louis Ram's success. Mike is in danger learning the valuable lesson of the childhood cereal experience: Many will enter, few will win.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.