Melissa Ellen Gilbert first appeared in front of a camera at the age of 3 in a television commercial. She is the grandaughter of Harry Crane, comedy writer for the 50's sitcom The Honeymooners. In addition to her sister Sara (from Roseanne fame), Melissa has one brother, Jonathan, who filled the roll of Willie Oleson on televisions Little House on the Prairie.

Though recognized for her role as Laura, Melissa is a very versatile actress. She appeared in many commercials and did guest spots on many TV shows. After spending 10 years on a television series it is often difficult for child stars to continue their careers as adults. Melissa rose above and has continued to carve her name in the annals of television and movie history.

Melissa has the honor of being the youngest person to recieve a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. Today she holds the prestigious postion of President of the Screen Actors Guild.

Melissa has been romantically linked at one time or another to Tom Cruise, Michael Landon, Jr., and Rob Lowe. She is currently married to husband #2, Bruce Boxleitner, a star in his own right. She has two sons, Dakota (with first husband Bo Brickman) and Michael.

Among her many known and unknown movie and television parts, Melissa has also directed Me and My Hormones (1996), Child Stars: Their Story (2000), and Under the Mimosa (2002).

Melissa Gilbert Filmography:

1972

  • Emergency! (2 episodes, "Helpful" and "Dinner Date")
1974 1977 1978
  • Battle of the Network Stars
1979
  • The Miracle Worker
  • Nutcracker Fantasy
1980
  • The Diary of Anne Frank
1981
  • Splendor in the Grass
1982
  • Faerie Tale Theatre
1983 1984
  • Family Secrets
1985
  • Sylvester
1986
  • Choices
  • Penalty Phase
1987
  • Blood Vows: The Story of a Mafia Wife
1988
  • Killer Instinct
  • Chameleons
  • Ice House
1989
  • Funny
1990
  • Forbidden Nights
  • Joshua's Heart
  • Without Her Consent
  • Donor
  • The Lookalike
1992
  • Stand by Your Man
  • With a Vengeance
  • Batman: The Animated Series (3 episodes, "Batgirl Returns", "Shadow of the Bat: Part 1", and "Shadow of the Bat: Part 2")
1993
  • Family of Strangers
  • Shattered Trust: The Shri Karney Story
  • Dying to Remember
  • House of Secrets
1994
  • Babymaker: The Dr. Cecil Jacobsen Story
  • Against Her Will: The Carrie Buck Story
  • Cries From the Heart
  • Sweet Justice
  • Touched by an Angel
  • Babylon 5 (played the part of Anne Sheridan in several episodes)
1995 1996
  • Christmas in my Hometown
1997
  • Seduction in a Small Town
  • Childhood Sweetheart
1998
  • Her Own Rules
1999 2000
  • A Vision of Murder: The Story of Donielle
2001
  • Sanctuary

It should also be noted that in addition to the above movies and television appearances, Melissa has appeared on several award shows including NBCs 75th Anniversary Special (2002). She has been highlighted, and spoke on behalf of other actors, on televions Intimate Portrait, Celebrity Profile, and The E! True Hollywood Story series. Melissa has also participated in many tributes to the Little House series and Michael Landon.

Information above was gathered in part at the following websites:

http://us.imdb.com/M/person-biography?Melissa+Gilbert

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.