Sauce for a traditional appetizer of the Philippines called Lumpia. This sauce is also called Paalat.
1 clove garlic -- crushed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1-1/2 cups water
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cups cold water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Mince the garlic and mix the cornstarch into 1/3 cup water.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat
- add garlic and saute until soft.
- Stir in brown sugar, soy sauce and 1-1/2 cups water.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture stirring constantly until thick.
- cool and serve with lumpia.