Things in the village settled down a bit once Meg came back with Deirdre. With those two returned, the wool spinning went faster, and the cows were less likely to kick over the milk bucket. In the winter snow, Meg taught everyone the finer points of hunting, and so there were soon fewer boars in the forest.

Meg could not quite understand why Deirdre had kissed her on the cheek when she had suggested such a thing. Dealing with the boars was necessary, after all. She knew why Deirdre kissed her, but she did not understand – not at first. For though she remembered vague details of this woman, she still did not remember anything clearer. No matter how much she enjoyed having Deirdre around, she would not kiss her back, for she was always just a little ashamed of the way things were so unbalanced between them.

Sometimes Deirdre did not mind. Sometimes she minded. Sometimes she would take Meg by the hand and lead her wherever they were going; sometimes she would keep far ahead. She would always say that it was no trouble, that Meg's memory would come back someday, but  -- when?

In the meantime, she and Tally would sit with Meg in their little roundhouse – for it was Tally's, as well, when he was there and not away – and teach Meg the finer points of sign language. It was slow going past the basics. Meg did not enjoy responding in long sentences. She preferred to speak aloud. But Deirdre was, as ever, a patient teacher, and very slowly Meg learned to respond to Deirdre in kind. After a while they did not even need Tally's help.

And just as well, for he was gone more often than not. On that subject Deirdre would not sign, not even when Meg asked.

 Fia, meanwhile, was there and gone and there and gone many times per day. Meg thought of trying to follow her, but where she could run faster than Fia, it was mostly in a straight line. Fia could turn on a dime and be somewhere far to the left or right or behind in an instant. It was something the other children of the village found as amusing as vexing, and after a while they had to exclude Fia from their games of tag, or else nobody besides her would ever win.

And Meg eventually had to give up trying to catch her. It was much easier to lure the girl home with a promise of a regular suppertime, which, as Fia said, was not something she was used to. She was used to uncertain returns on the fishing pole or the rabbit trap, and keeping warm beneath a lean-to of branches and leaves. She offered to teach the village children how this was done, at which suggestion Deirdre's smile practically lit the roundhouse brighter than the fire.

But as the weeks and months wore on, and winter turned to spring, in the time when the sheep were getting ready to shear, Deirdre seemed to be growing frustrated about something, and what it was, she would not say. So sometimes she would be gone away somewhere, not telling Meg where, and on those days Meg missed her more than she expected.

By nights Meg would dream of strange things, of battles against terrifying giants and hordes of warriors. She had fought for her Queen, once upon a time, but against hordes like that, surely not? And yet in those dreams, there was a mysterious woman fighting beside her, nearly as tall as her and just as willing to stand her ground. One whose face was oddly familiar, whose voice was oddly familiar, one who sang through all of any battle –

Yet she could never remember most of it upon waking.

One day, Meg was out in the forest, trying to find the hurtleberry bush that she remembered. It was only by chance that she saw Deirdre and Fia through the underbrush before they saw her. And what they were doing, Meg might not have understood – but she remembered Deirdre drawing with a stick in the mud. She had been drawing something called "letters". So she was doing the same here, in the mud of the riverbank, and Fia was looking very confused.

"Alright," signed Fia. "You've got this angled one, and this half-circle, and then a straight one with a couple other lines…and you, like, put them together? To form words? For what? I guess I'm not getting it."

"Honestly," signed Deirdre, "I would not expect you to get it with my limited teaching ability. I would have to sound out each letter aloud, and that is not something I can do. I would need your dad's help, and he would never help me. Not with this."

Meg considered getting closer, but if Deirdre wanted this situation to be secret, she certainly did not need any input from her…former ex-wife. Wife. Girlfriend. Significant other. What on earth was Meg in relation to Deirdre, when she couldn't remember their relationship but Deirdre could, and they were raising a child together anyway? Partner? That was the most accurate word but the least romantic.

Lost in thought, Meg did not step carefully as she had been doing before. A twig snapped under her feet.

And there was Fia beside her. "You're really good," said Fia. "You're the tallest person I know but you know how to hide in the underbrush better than I do."

Meg shrugged. "If I hadn't learned how to sneak up on a boar I'd have more scars. Now excuse me while I apologize to your mother." She made her way out of the underbrush and down to the river bank, where Deirdre was sitting, still with the stick in her hand, looking forlorn.

Meg sat down beside her, and signed nothing for a while.

Then Deirdre nudged her. "Go on," she signed. "You were going to apologize to me?"

"Sorry about listening in on a secret meeting," signed Meg. "This reading business, though – can you tell me how it works?"

"No," signed Deirdre. "I can't. I shouldn't. I'm risking so much here…and I can't even tell you how. Tally knows how. He had a right to be furious with me for even suggesting this. But there is so much I know, now, and so much I want to tell everyone! You gave me my years back but we only have so many of them, and then I shall go down to the underworld once more – "

"With me this time," signed Meg.

"With you. With you?" Deirdre looked surprised. "Are you beginning to remember yourself?"

"I can hardly remember," signed Meg. "Everyone tells me I ran off to bring you back. I'm beginning to see why. My life would sure be boring without you. You know, I kind of wonder if I'd even stick around this place if not for you! Maybe Fia keeps me here, or maybe you do. Conall said we wouldn't be separated. I'm inclined to agree with him."

Deirdre grinned.

"What?"

"You lift my spirit," signed Deirdre, and she stood. "For it seems I can attract you again, as I did once before. But come, let us be going home."

And so they returned to their village, and Deirdre did not say anything more that day of reading, nor did she the next, nor for long afterward.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.