The speed of light is a constant; I rather like vanilla milk shakes.

I don't have them often, mind you. Heavy. But a couple of times a summer, especially if I've biked or walked a distance and can get a good one? Absolutely. In Pulp Fiction, Vincent makes a big deal about the Five Dollar Milk Shake. He didn't know if it was worth five dollars, but it was a pretty fuckin' good milk shake.

Thirty years later, five dollars would be a pretty fuckin' cheap milk shake.

Times change.

The speed of light does not, much to the chagrin of science-fiction writers and would-be space explorers.

When you cruise near the Falls you feel as though you're swimming, as the birds must feel when the dive into the rising mist and moisture.

Sunfest 2024 came and went, start of the summer, bands from across the globe. A nephew drove up for the weekend. We walked to the site the first day and drove the second. He had incredible parking karma, finding the lone spot remaining alongside the park, presumably abandoned just before we passed.

You can't see every act. We caught Krut from Ukraine and the Tune from Korea, among others. Les Aunties from Chad. Zar Electrik blended north African trance with Mediterranean instruments. Juice Joint joined jazz fusion and hip hop. We missed one of the more conventional folkie groups, an Ontario band called The Pairs. They'll play town again.

The second day, a hot day, I ordered a vanilla milkshake, nursed it for at least an hour. It was pretty f*in' good.

The light hit the festival 8.5 minutes after leaving the sun.

My wife joined us in the evenings.

On Sunday I was on my own, my nephew having returned to Toronto and my wife deciding to opt out of the final night. It was a good one though, with my highlight being Pantera Acido, electronic funk and Afro-Andean. The scene looked a little like a late-90s rave with a mostly-adult crowd. That particular stage is licensed. People drink beer and cooler at Gentleman's Club prices in the evening sun. An older woman sitting near me cannot keep her eyes off an inebriated lesbian couple on the dance floor. Amusement? Discomfort? Jealousy? Longing?

No idea.

Being alone at Sunfest allowed me to engage in that most notorious of writerly habits, people-watching.

"What's your cool sitting pose?" one boy asked another. I'd sat to rest. The teen boys, some Caucasian and some Asian, were at bench waiting for friends: students, as came up in their conversation, at a local Catholic high school.

"Dude, ______ said he was coming here after church."

"Do you think they're hanging somewhere else without us?"

Suddenly, one grabbed more attention than he likely wanted, in what seemed a queer-friendly crowd, by yelling, "Gay man alert! Gay man alert!" Their friends had finally arrived. One of them wore a brightly coloured shirt, floral sort of summer garb.

He turned his attention back on his friend's sartorial choices, critiqued his footwear. "Go sell your fucking shoes. You have too many. You only need two pair."

What are you, a girl?

Perhaps the most interesting encounter occurred when I sat down beside a woman in her early seventies and struck up a conversation. We had, in a sense, crossed paths previously, She had been one of the original IT people at the local university, a job which overlapped with my time there as an undergraduate.

She's also a longtime SF fan.

She has a copy of Live Nude Aliens.


One of our nieces and her husband will have their first child in a few weeks. We attended an analogue to a shower, an all-gendered event, held on his family's land, rural, north of here, very large. Both expectant parents are former varsity athletes. Attractive, fit young adults populated the event.

His grandfather showed us his collection: maps and tiny things, his father's knife from the Second World War, a puck signed by Bobby Orr.

We bought a dinosaur mobile that had been on the expectant couple's wish list. They're two of our favourite people. I wish the world a bright future in part because their progeny deserve one.

Of course, "a man said to the universe...."

We held our own party. I’ve retired from my day job. Last summer we celebrated our twenty-fifth anniversary, though the date fell on a family wedding and we kept it low-key. We've both reached landmark birthdays.

The mid-July timing meant that a good many people could not come, but we had over one hundred people over the course of the day, neighbours, friends, family, writers, musicians, colleagues, collaborators, some former students, the acting president of the local Pride organization, some SF fans and a congregation of Janeites, the inspiration for one of my characters and her family, a woman in her nineties and a child who has just learned to walk.

My wife sang "Only You."

JB, from Wisconsin, sent his regrets.

Set up for our party was delayed and strained by events beyond our control. A good friend, husband to one of my wife's oldest friends, an athletic man who seemed in better-than-average health, had an unexpected, massive heart attack. By the time anyone reached him he had died, clinically. Paramedics revived him but with little hope of returning. The damage to his brain had been too severe.

They finally disconnected him.

Our party went ahead.

A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"

Another couple we know, much older, prominent figures in the local music scene, held a different event in their yard, one week later. Fifty years married.

I have spent too little time writing this summer and too much time at parties in large yards on sunny afternoons.

JB finally made it up last weekend. We wandered around the city, attended the local the local Pride Parade with my wife, Nancy, and my sister Jo.

Monday we drove to Niagara Falls. Before riding the Hornblower (the lesser known Falls tour boat; the Maid of the Mist only runs on the American side), we walked up Clifton Hill. During that phase my wife rested under a tree in the park. The natural wonder and unnatural spectacle: House of Frankenstein. House of Dracula. Wax Museums and gaming arcades. A Ferris Wheel (my wife and I went on it the last time we passed this way) and dinosaur golf, go-karts and ziplines and the Hard Rock Café. A giant Frankenstein Monster head noshes on a hamburger. It's a comic book street, drawn by a talented child. JB snapped a picture of an unconvincing Taylor Swift in the Movieland Wax Museum foyer, opposite Thor and the Hulk.

We didn't enter any of the tacky tourist traps, but we did have ice cream. Vanilla, in my case.

He chuckled at the narration that came over the Hornblower's PA and through the thick mist, sensing a bit too much emphasis on the larger size of the Canadian falls, the fact that the American side will erode because of the softer clay.

JB hails from Milwaukee, so he faced more questions than seemed reasonable about how someone with his American nationality and identities felt about the political situation.

His phone exploded soon after the parade, news of a game-changing and dramatically-timed resignation.

I nevertheless cannot shake the fear that someone will read an historical note in centuries to come about the American experiment with democracy, and its first and last elected leaders. The first, reputedly, could not tell a lie. The last, allegedly, could not tell the truth.

I hope a better history will be written. I cannot write it, except on paper.

We were on Queens Ave, though the parade turned at Colborne and then made its way to the park. I preferred last year's parade, which featured more interesting and creative participants. This year's was fun, but leaned too heavily into walking corporate ads, "see, we'll sell to you too!" Jo really liked it. She doesn't attend the Toronto one any more, due to the crazy crowd density and the sporadic nudes, public dangly bits.

My sister’s second book will be out in the fall: Just Gone. It concerns queer refugees, most of them victims of horrors beyond the imaginings of people who celebrate in outsize yards.

Some things seem to be constant.


They held a candlelight vigil in a park last night: a seventeen-year-old, killed by her former boyfriend, fatally stabbed. He had attacked her earlier this year, choked her. Part of his bail conditions involved staying away from her. In that final altercation, he stabbed another person, non-fatally, and ultimately confronted police. They shot him.

I knew the story. I did not learn his name until last night. I knew the perpetrator, a little, when he was in his early teens, an often-unpleasant student who seemed to have had both a difficult past and an exaggerated sense of entitlement.

He tended to make poor decisions.

The bullet that killed him moved considerably slower than the speed of light.

The knife with which he murdered his teenage ex moved even slower.

I could have a vanilla milk shake now, but I don't know that I'd enjoy it.


A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crane

I've been avoiding "meta" posting lately, trying to keep myself to factuals. If you consider comic book reviews to be factual content, which I do. (And more on that below). But obviously there is enough going on in the world that I want to give an overall view of what I think is important! One reason why it has been hard to do that, is that events have moved so fast that my examples have changed as I have thought about what to write. Remember that less than two weeks ago, a presidential candidate was struck by a bullet? Haha, wow, you have a good memory if so. Looking out my window at the smoke filled skies, it is hard to remember what happened in another surreal summer.

But lets start on June 27, 2024, when Joe Biden and Donald Trump had the first presidential debate. Joe Biden stumbled, and immediately, pundits asked whether voters would lose confidence in him. It became a topic on social media. Democratic Party leaders started being asked if they still supported Biden. The quandary and confusion fed on itself, and the pressure built, until a little over three weeks later, Joe Biden announced that he was no longer running for reelection. Was this a good decision? My own opinion is that Biden's slips were probably superficial, but that citizens should know without doubt that the president is competent, and that by that criteria, it was time for him to step aside. But what was strange and alarming to me is that the decision that this was a topic that had to be addressed seemed to arise so quickly, and that it arose over the horizon. People were talking about what people were talking about, but where the original question arose, we can't say. In contrast to that, it has been decided, again over the horizon, that Donald Trump's support is ironclad and fanatical. When Donald Trump was convicted of falsifying business records to pay for the silence of a pornographic actress, the question "Who will be the first Republican leader to ask Trump to stand aside?" or "Does this spell the end of Trump's candidacy". In fact, the narrative seemed to suggest that this would actually strengthen his support.

Sometime back in 2015 or 2016, "we" created something called a "Trump voter". There was actually a few shaky moments when the "Trump voter" dissipated. When Trump insulted John McCain's service record, there was a few days when the narrative was unsettled---were Republican voters still "conservative" in the sense of respecting tradition? But the tipping point was reached then, and a few other times--- the Access Hollywood tape was one of them, and a narrative was formed that Trump voters would support him no matter what. At the same time, the narrative was formed that the Democratic Party leadership, and Democratic voters, were worrywarts who would pick at their scabs endlessly looking for a perfect candidate. I could give other examples and more details of how this happened, but for this short summary, I think the general point is clear.

And here is another point: I don't think this narrative was started by anyone, and not for ulterior purposes. One idea is that the "corporate media" created this idea for specific partisan purposes. But "corporate media" is itself something that exists in the narrative, and as much as the media (corporate or not), it is along for the ride. Balancing up there on Shai Hulud, trying not to get thrown off. And that is how I view the narrative, as a self-enforcing creature, a wyrm eating its own tail, creating storylines that it pushes into reality, which then provide more fodder for it to feed on. Since I am still sane, even in this surreal summer, I view this as a helpful metaphor. Mostly. But to put it simply, we are all in the position of reacting to a narrative that seems to have been created "somewhere else", instead of creating narratives that reflect our own experience.

So what is the solution? Well, back to my comic book reviews! And Young Adult novel reviews! Sometimes I review things that seem minor or fanciful, but the point is, I am engaging with a text, engaging with a story, and the minute I do that, it becomes something that I am actively thinking about. Narratives are made of words, words start narratives, but words can also end narratives---and redirect them. Once you start asking "how" and "why" of a narrative, you control it, instead of it controlling you. And so I read a book for young adults written forty years ago, and it reminds me that the "fact" that the United States is divided into "Red States" and "Blue States" that have radically different value systems is actually a recent paradigm. I read a back-up story in a Spider-Man comic and I realize that creator perspectives can make the message of even a brief story complicated, especially when it is made by multiple creators in a corporate setting. Basically, anything I read allows me to ask those "how" and "why" questions, and allows me to realize that there is a reality beyond narratives. (So thank you for allowing me my sometimes fanciful reviews of long-ago media--- while it might not be of general interest, it does allow me to inoculate myself against narratives). Of course, this approach only works for me. How much can one person do? But it becomes a categorical imperative type of thing---if everyone were to spend some time thinking about narratives, we would be in a much better place. Of course, the specific formula I use, writing about seemingly trivial media on this site, isn't the universal cure, but I do believe that writing with some structure is helpful.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.