A yellow meat filled patty with spicy attributes. Kinda like a taco but more along the lines of a yellow pastry shaped like a crescent moon. Popular in Toronto, Canada, and probably just as good in Jamaica, if not better. You can buy these from hot dog vendors, or from Jamaican restaurants off Yonge Street.

a.k.a 'Rasta patty'; a spicy beef pasty/hand pie

This tasy delight is one of the things I miss about Nottingham. In the Central Market was a stall specialising in Jamaican foods; they made these by the boatload; they were very popular with the West Indian diaspora and we white folk alike.Buying a nice bright orange-yellow warm patty and eating it on the way home was among the best street food of my memory. My second wife's mother made them too, on occasion, which was a treat. Ido dispute Kallen's "taco" description; its a hand pie more akin to a spicy Cornish pasty or empanada.

i missed them so much I enquired of an old colleague, and he sent his mum's recipe, given below with a few tweaks of my own:

For the pastry you will need:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, about 140 grams or 4¼ ounces
  • ½ teaspoon sugar (personally I always skip this)
  • A crushed OxO cube or Maggi or a teaspoon of Beef bouillon paste
  • up to 2 tablespoons curry powder or 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder (it's really just for colouring the pastry)
  • ~4 oz water
  • 1/2 cup unsalted frozen butter
  • 1/2 cup frozen lard (I substitute veggie shortening!0
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon brown or cane sugar (or not; I usually skip this, making the dough a little drier)
  • 1 pinch of salt
for the filling:
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder (I substitute a clove or two of fresh garlic, crushed with a pinch of salt)
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder 9i skip this, preferring fresh)
  • 1 a finely chopped Scotch Bonnet pepper (use at your own discretion and scrub your hands well after handling. N.B. Do not touch eyes, nose or genitals with unwashed hands; you have been warned!) Personally I'll subsitute a habanero or a couple of small serrano or long Thai peppers, which are slightly less challenging to handle and easier to find.)
  • 2 pounds minced beef. Ground turkey or pounded saltfish will substitute; I've also made one with mushrooms and a chopped hard-boiled egg.
  • 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon
  • 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon
  • 1 a splash of water
  • 1 a dash of vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch (or flour)
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder or paste
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika pepper
  • 2 teaspoons ground thyme
  • 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
  • 1 medium egg (or 2 small eggs)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. take the flour, curry, salt, sugar and mix well in a large bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the flour along with the lard, ensure evenly mix the ingredients. Add water and knead the dough then form the dough in a ball. The dough should be a little sticky.

Place dough in a bowl and dust with flour. Place a damp teatowel or plastic wrap over the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Then remove the dough from the fridge and roll outthe pastry, sprinkling with a little more flour if needed. Cut the dough into equal circles about six to eight inches diameter. The dough must be thick enough to contain the filling but not too thick or it will become chewy.

Add a splash of vegetable oil to a pot along with onions, cook on low until they are caramelized then add the garlic. Set stove to a medium-high heat and add the ground beef, pepper, and all the remaining seasonings. Stir beef and cook until soft.

Remove the pot and drain the liquid, place the pot back on the stove. Add cornstarch to a cup along with some cold water, mix well and pour it over the beef. continue to cook beef on low for 5 minutes. Stir constantly so it can thicken to a gravy. Turn off the fire and let the beef cool.

Once the beef is cool. Add a generous tablespoon of beef filling on half of the circle of dough. (leave some room at the edge to fold). Beat an egg and brush the edges of the dough. Fold the dough and pinch edges together or seal it by pressing the edges togeher with a fork.

Make three small slices on each folded patty dough and place them in a baking sheet or pan on parchment paper, or a pan that is pre-greased with butter. Brush the patty with the egg wash and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees or until the crust is golden brown.

Allow them to cool enough to handle and enjoy warm or cold. They do freeze quite well whether made up or cooked. If cooked, I'd often reheat them in the oven at about 425°F, for about ten minutes; they made a great lunch or a snack on the way to work or errands.

Thank you Dan for reminding me they are also known as Rasta patties! Dan used to work with a West Indian chef in Davis, and tells me he used to make a vegan version with mirepois and al dente lentils, of course skipping the eggs too.


xclip -o | wc -w
645

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.