"Don't forget to collect your two dollars." She pushed the sandwich over to the customer. The customer pushed back two dollars in exchange.

Truth be told, the sandwiches didn't cost us anything to make. The two dollar price was an accident. We had only been exchanging money. Other people saw and expected that to be a price.

By silent agreement, we acted as if we were in fact selling sandwiches. They weren't meant to be given out. 

I knew she wasn't very financially stable. She ran her own food truck on the side. This money would help her and her daughter.

Her daughter was in her early twenties. I'd be lying if I didn't imagine us together. But this wasn't about that. I didn't think so. This was about helping a struggling family make it. Any way we could.

They were migrants from the south. They had no permanent status to remain. I thought of proposing to her daughter. Purely to change her immigration status. But I hadn't worked up the courage to do so. It might have been taken the wrong way. To be honest, I wasn't purely altruistic.

In many respects, it would have been easier to ask if I felt no attraction at all. It would have been easier to see things as above board.

Instead I spent that summer stewing in my own thoughts. Never going where I wanted to go. Not knowing come autumn, it would be gone as if it never came at all.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.