For those of you who have never been shot in the back by a 20-gauge shotgun from 40 yards, let me tell you, you're not missing much.

I was 14 years old, and I was out hunting dove with my dad. Okay, not so much 'hunting' as pointing a gun and shooting at any that flew by. Once in a great while we had to shake them out of a bush by throwing a rock. Oooooh. But I digress. Anyway, it's best, when hunting, to stick together in groups to avoid, you guessed it, shooting someone.

Unfortunately, there was a man out on that bright, cloudless day that hadn't heard that rule. He was about 30 yards off, a beer in one hand and shotgun in the other, shooting at the spots in front of his eyes as often as the birds.

Well, there was a slight hill between the two of us, and a bush on that hill. He threw a rock at the bush, and I started running. I didn't run fast enough. I took 12 pellets in the back from that drunken idiot. They were hot enough to burn right through my heavy coat, and a few had pierced my skin. The rest just left burns.

Why I am still alive:
The concept of a shotgun relies on extreme power at a short range, and the velocity drops quickly from there. Of the 40 or so pellets within that 20-gauge shell, most never made it to me. But god dammit, 12 did, and I've still got the scars.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.